Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Parenting before Baby

There really are some things I know that I know about being a parent. Everyone tells me that my opinions will change, that I will feel differently when I'm holding him and he looks up at me with his precious eyes but I keep fighting them on it.

He will not have everything he asks for. When he gets a bit older, he will learn the value of a dollar and he will earn the things that he wants. He will have his hands smacked and his butt whooped and he will always know that his whoopings are out of love. He will go to church, even when he doesn't feel like it. He'll have a curfew and rules to live by and if he loses our trust, he'll have to earn it again. He won't have girlfriends staying over when he gets older or beer at his 16th birthday party and just because his friends are doing it doesn't mean he will too.

He will learn that life is what you make of it, every person deserves a chance and that God loves us all. We will be more than happy to let him play in the mud, collect rocks and stain clothes. He can play sports, take dance or join a club if it makes him happy. We will never 'force' him to be something he's not. He will be unconditionally loved and cherished as our son and know it. He'll have things that both Jeremy and I both didn't have growing up but he will also know how blessed he is.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps my opinions will change after I have him...but I just don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You don't know just how lovely you are...thank you.