Friday, September 14, 2012

Friday Five

 
I'm linking up with Julie over at Ross Family Adventures for another Friday Five! This week Julie asked us to share five organizations we'd like to bring more attention to. I had to really think about this one as there are a ton of organizations out there that I consider close to my heart for one reason or another.
 
 
My grandfather passed away from throat and lung cancer in 1998. Although I was still young it is something that I will never forget and I still miss him terribly at times. I'm always pressing my friends and family (mainly to stay away from tobacco) to take precautions against cancer.
 
The three main things the cancer society recommends to reduce your chances of developing cancer?
 
1 - Stay away from Tobacco    
2 - Eat Healthy and Get Active
3 - Be Safe in the Sun               
 
 
I have seen so many families and individuals struggle with these diseases, and I have seen the torment that a family can go through when caring for a loved one suffering from alzheimer's. It's a sad, frightening disease and I think that more people should be aware of it's impact.
 
 
There are a TON of missionaries working out in the world. Most of the time they go unnoticed by the media and the majority of society but in my home, they have a special place in our hearts and prayers. I so wanted to be part of the mission field, and maybe one day I will be, but for now I am content just praying for these missionaries who are doing God's work and often risking their very lives to do it. There are missions everywhere you can think of and I will encourage you to find a local one to pray for in the very least. The link leads to my church's mission page. If you don't want to take the time to find a mission to support, I'm more than happy to let you support my church's!
 
#4 - Abuse
 
I'm not linking up for this one becaue they amount of websites, material and help for those out there who suffer from abuse - whether emotional, verbal, physical or sexual is endless. I was abused as a child and tween - in so many different ways and by numerous different sources. It hurts. It hurts you in ways that you can't just get over and it hurts you in ways that will affect you for a lifetime, no matter how much you try to force it away.
 
 
It's our duty as American citizens to support our troops who fight for our freedom. Operation Gratitude is a great way to do so. From donating simple items like toothpaste or peanuts or even more personal items like hand-written letters and handmade scarves - every little thing goes straight to our troops in care packages. My grandmother and I gather entire boxes of things usually twice a year to take to them. It's a great way to be involved in supporting our men and women who are protecting our freedom.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with the American Cancer Society, my Mom passed away from Cancer last year and I wish more people helped get awareness out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are great!! thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

You don't know just how lovely you are...thank you.