Thursday, March 14, 2013

Older, and Perhaps Wiser?


Do you ever feel like you're older than your age? You look around and think 'what in the WORLD, are they thinking?' when it comes to the people your own age around you?

Yeah. That's me.

Maybe it's because I skipped the whole 'college life' thing and went straight into commuting for class and working full time. Then when I became old enough to drink - well, I got married.

Yeah, no drinking and partying days for this gal!

Maybe more than anything else, it was because I lived with my grandmother for several years and her slow pace life wore off on me. I don't know really.

At 18 I was searching for my husband.
At 21 I was married.
At 24 I was a mother.

At 25 1/2? Well... I'm still married and a mother, but I'm also a full-grown woman.

I don't relate to most other 20-something year olds. I find myself most comfortable around the 30's to 40's stage of people. 30 is the new 20 anyway, right?

So tell me - how is a girl to make friends if she doesn't relate to anyone else her own age? I'm old-fashioned, the complete opposite of modern and would rather spend my evenings quietly at home than out on the town.

Do any of you relate? How did you make friends? I'd love to hear your advice and stories!

3 comments:

  1. I can 100% relate to this (minus the mother part), I skipped the college party phase because I was working full time to support myself. I never could get into that lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't feel like I missed anything by missing out on the college lifestyle myself either.

      Delete
  2. i totally understand. i really don't feel that i fit in with the societal norms for my age AT ALL. then again i kind of just don't feel like i fit in with society in general sometimes! it can be very frustrating trying to make friends especially since i am kind of a hermit that is pretty much fine hanging out with my husband and children all day! i also did things "differently" - i got married at 19, and had my babies at 21 & 24!

    ReplyDelete

You don't know just how lovely you are...thank you.