Saturday, November 09, 2013

Clinging


Winter is quickly approaching and as the days become colder and the temperature is slowly pushed up on the thermostat, I'm having a hard time grasping the fact that autumn has come and (almost) gone so quickly. My front yard is filled with beautiful yellow leaves from our nectarine tree and as I peer out the window every morning, the small tree sheds before my very eyes, dropping leaves that drift slowly on the breeze or dance quickly in the wind.

I know that it will soon be bare.

I dread the dark mornings and early evenings, but I look forward to the silence that that first snow brings and the joy of the holidays and the excitement of each individual snow-flake as it floats to the ground. I know that this year will be even more magical for Henry than the last, and when a child is present, it becomes more magical for all those around him.

And who knows, maybe we will be blessed with another post-Thanksgiving surprise like we were three years ago. Imagine the magic that this news would bring to our families and friends and us.

I'm praying but I'm not pushing. All in His time.

In the meantime I am trying to enjoy the last bit of fall. Henry and I collected leaves at a park earlier this past week, and I'm hoping we can recreate a family photo soon with the fall foliage surrounding us. Soon it will be time to Christmas shop and begin dinner preparations and find Henry that perfect outfit. I love this time of year, but I'm not quite ready for it yet.

I'm clinging to fall like that last leaf clings to it's almost-bare tree, holding and holding until finally I have no choice but to let go...

4 comments:

You don't know just how lovely you are...thank you.