Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A Not-so-Good First


Today my poor Little-Bit was sick for the very first time. We got up early this morning and had a small breakfast, made our way to Miamisburg to spend some time with Mammal and do some pre-vaction and birthday shopping and before I knew it, he was running a high temperature.

It really came out of no where and at first, I thought it was just because he has several teeth coming through his gums right now. So I gave him a little Tylenol and a bath - his temperature was 102.7 - high, but we had also been out in the heat and such prior so I laid him down for a nap and waited to see if it would come down while he slept. When he woke up about an hour later, it had rose to 103.5 - which started to feel scary to me. I gave him a little Motrin and then got him dressed, made him drink some milk and water and then put him in the car for the drive home, calling a nurse on the way. She told me if it got any higher I should take him to Children's - it was about that time that he started puking all over my back seat.

Needless to say, I decided that Children's was probably the best idea and so I just headed that way, calling Jeremy so he could meet us there. When we got there, the poor little guy's temperature had rose again. He was burning up, his entire face was red and his eyes were swollen and red from crying. I knew he was just so uncomfortable. Upon another dose of medicine and being there for a few hours his temperature finally started to come down and when we left it was around 102 again. They couldn't find any sort of infections and are figuring on some little virus since it's not very common for puking to occur with teething.

He already seems to be feeling better and he met a new friend while he was at the hospital. I thought it was so cute to watch him wave and smile at the little boy on the other side of the glass. He also enjoyed playing with the toys that were attached to the walls and exploring a new place. My hope now is that he feels better for his birthday on Thursday and his party on Saturday.

I have to say - one of the worst feelings in the world is knowing that your child doesn't feel well and there's nothing you can do about it. Needless to say, I think I will cuddle him a little closer when I crawl into bed with him tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You don't know just how lovely you are...thank you.