Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Evolution

I was looking through photos this morning of Henry at this time last year. It's amazing how quickly a child can change and evolve and as his mother, I find that at times I actually have to look closely at these photos and then at the toddler running around my feet to really realize just how drastic the change has been. Every photo is Henry to me - and he's still just my baby. I guess I find it a bit difficult to accept how quickly he is growing up.



 These two photos were taken a year apart, almost to the day. I see a baby and little boy, so different and yet - still the same. His smile and perfect, little laugh - they make my heart beat. I can't imagine my life without this little guy and I feel so blessed to have him. Just think - God trusted us enough to be in charge of shaping him and helping him to grow and learn! He must have some serious confidence in us.

Thinking about how quickly Little Bit has changed, it makes me think about how much I have changed. Since becoming a mommy, how is my life different? Am I more patient? Or less so? I know he won't remember these first years, but I hope he will always know that I tried my very best. There were days that I felt like giving up, because they were hard, that hard... but I didn't. I didn't because he means that much to me. And I hope I can teach him to be the same way. To never give up, to keep on a'truckin' and to love like lovin' is going out of style.

I hope that he will see that his daddy and I love one another very much and that we would do anything for one another and especially for him. I hope he will see his daddy apologizing, and his mama being a little (lot) less stubborn when they've had a disagreement. I hope he finds charity in his heart for others and a longing to follow God's purpose for his life. I hope he loves pickle juice, just so we can make daddy gag together. And I hope he loves to work on cars, even if I wrinkle my nose when his daddy mentions spending his evening out there. I hope he'll root for the Reds and never refuse to kiss me goodnight and yell at me for embarrassing him.

Mostly I just hope he's happy and healthy and that he'll always have a family to turn to, even if they are a little dysfunctional.

4 comments:

  1. These pictures are so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet. He is such a cute little guy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So precious! I recently came across a photo of Asher from last year that is very similar to that first photo you posted - I can't believe how fast they have grown!! Last fall Asher and Henry were just little lumps laying in the leaves and now they are running around exploring everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great minds think alike!! Im getting really excited to see you so I was going threw you pictures and was looking at baby Henry and couldn't believe it!!

    ReplyDelete

You don't know just how lovely you are...thank you.