I've had a lot of things on my mind lately. BIG things. Things that really do matter. In terms of religion, I consider myself a Christian. In terms of denomination, I was raised Baptist but consider myself very close to non-denominational at this point. I mean, let's be honest, you have to disagree with SOMETHING usually somewhere in just about every denomination.
The honest-to-God truth is that I really enjoy church, but really hate the stigmas that usually follow certain denominations. It all seems more hurtful than peaceful in most circumstances, like...if you don't agree with me than you can't be my friend because I am right and you are wrong. I hate that. Why can't we all just get along?
I am 25 and at this point of my life, this is what I personally believe. It's not all religious, but most of it ties back to my religious beliefs. I've been told on several occasions in my life that my life is 'too perfect'. I've been accused of never having an issue and being handed all things on a silver platter, simply because I refuse to let life get me down. These reasons are why I am happy, why my life may appear 'perfect', and why I can face any trouble in the face and not be shaken completely by it.
1) I am saved by grace, not by works. Nothing I can do can get me to heaven aside from trusting in Jesus and knowing that He was innocent, crucified, and rose again.
2) Prayer and trust is all I need to get through this life. Seriously. Even in the most stressful situations, I truly believe that if you're trusting that it's all in God's plan, there is absolutely no reason to worry about it.
3) Living in America means we should all have equal rights regardless of sex, race or sexual 'preference' and it's my opinion that the church and state are too closely related for comfort.
5) With that being said, I don't think homosexuality, bisexual tendencies, or being transgender is 'natural'.
6) Babies are babies whether they are inside a womb or out. I know that some people feel as if they are not fit to be parents, but killing an unborn child is murder. I don't care what you do with your body, but I think killing an innocent life should not be a choice.
7) Telling someone else how to live their life will do nothing but block you out from their mind, heart, and life. Live your life as a testament to what you believe and it will make more difference than you can imagine. There is already enough persecution, judgement and hatefulness in the world.
8) Forgiveness is key to a happy life.
9) Love Never Fails. Love, love, love and then go out and love some more. Treat others as you'd want to be treated, give when you can, and remember that you have two ears and one mouth for a reason.
10) Believe only half of what you see and nothing you hear.
11) Your word and your character are two of the few things you can control completely in life. Live so that if someone says something negative about you, they would never believe it. Never break your promises because trust is the foundation to every relationship, big or small.
12) Throw out an mold that someone tries to shove you in and live your life the way YOU see fit. Don't let judgmental stares or fear hold you back.
13) Strive to change the lives of those around you.
14) One good friend is better than 10 'ok' friends any day.
15) Sex should be saved for marriage, but usually isn't. Therefore we should be educated about the risks of having sex and how to have sex safely. Ignoring sex will only cause more trouble in the long run.
16) A marriage should be taken more seriously and it should be more difficult to get a divorce. A lot of people will disagree with me here, but we are in an era of giving up before we've even really tried.
17) There should be mandatory drug-tests for any and all recipients of welfare. There's no reason that our government should be helping people who refuse to help themselves.
18) A tattoo is a permanent thing and should be carefully considered. With that being said, tattoos should also be more widely accepted in the work-place.
19) Love is a feeling we choose to make. You can control who your heart loves, by choosing to think about who you allow to be in your life, the amount of time you spend with them, and the amount of time you spend getting to know them. If in your mind you are not open to the possibility of love, love will not just push itself into your life. I believe in lust at first sight, but not love.
20) God should come first in life and family should be second. Nothing else should matter more than these two things, especially money.
21) There are way more things in life that are more important than the way you look. Vanity can be a seriously harmful thing. However, the way you present yourself to the world says a lot about yourself as well. There can be a very fine line between the two.
22) One should never lose hope. Miracles do happen and wishes do come true.
23) Honesty is always the best policy. When you are willing to bear your soul to those around you, you'll often find that you're not alone in your insecurities, fears and issues.
This list is getting long and 23 is my favorite number so I think I'll stop. What do you personally believe? I'd love to hear what makes you tick!