Wednesday, March 12, 2014

One of Life's Best Lessons {for me}

I was pretty shy through-out all of elementary school, middle school, and most of high school. It wasn't until after I graduated and got out into the big 'adult' world that I sort of came out of my shell. I always envied girls who were full of confidence and demanded attention just by walking into a room. I'm not talking about the wrong kind of attention either, they were just so confident and sure in themselves and their skin that they shined from the inside out.

I wanted to be that girl.

As I got older, I began to realize that confidence was a trait learned and earned; it's not something that is just there for most of us. Confidence comes with stepping outside of your comfort zone, caring less about what others think, and really focusing on yourself and what matters most to you.

I wish someone had told me that sooner.

With years of practice I have bloomed from that shy girl into a strong, confident woman. I know this because I practice this...daily. When I look in the mirror, I assure myself that I am enough, that I am beautiful, that I am loved. When I walk into a room, I keep my head held high, I smile, I make eye-contact with others. These things are not always easy, but over the years, they have gotten easier and easier with each passing day.


Something else I've learned?

Confidence is so much sexier than short-shorts, or low-cut shirts, or any other means of drawing attention to yourself. Confidence gives you an inner-beauty that shines so bright, everyone sees it.

I wish someone had told me that sooner too.


And in case no one has never told you: Girl, stand tall, with a smile on your face, and know that you are enough, you are beautiful, and you are love. Be confident in who you are, no matter who that is or how different it is from anyone else. You'll find that with confidence comes happiness and the deepest sense of satisfaction with the reflection in the mirror.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now go link up with The Girl Between the Lines, the prompt this week is: 

Tell us a lesson you wish you had learned earlier in life.

Girl Between the Lines Link up

post signature

7 comments:

  1. This is so well written and something I can so easily relate! For me the biggest boost in confidence was learning to be comfortable with myself and who I am-- not comparing my personality to people who were extreme opposites! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comparison can KILL confidence in seconds flat. I've gotten better over the years at not comparing myself to others - but it's not always easy!

      Delete
  2. Great reminder! Unfortunately, confidence does take a lot of effort, but it is such a great trait to have! Awesome post. I found you through the link-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Kaylyn! It does take a lot of effort - but that effort is SO worth it in the end!

      Delete
  3. I can definitely relate to this! I've always been on the quieter side when I first meet people and that is always something I'm working on! I have to agree with Carly that it's easier to be confident in public when you are confident with yourself on the inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Confidence really does shine from the inside out.

      Delete
  4. I wish I could go back and tell my 12-22 year old self this! Those were some seriously trying years.

    ReplyDelete

You don't know just how lovely you are...thank you.