Monday, April 28, 2014

When You Forget the World is Hurting

I think we're all pretty good at hiding the intimate details of our lives. I'm not talking about the small stuff here either, I'm talking about the dig-down-deep things that really get to us. Things that already hurt so much that we don't want to share them because less understanding equals more hurt. I get it but I don't want to forget it.

It's easy to get wrapped up in our own lives and forget about the hurting world around us. But the truth is, the best day of your life could be the worst day of someone else's.

A lot of my friends openly share some of their struggles. Others keep them hidden to the point that I can't even begin to imagine what they're going through on the inside. I wish we could all just break down the barriers that we build in life and realize that the more we share, the more we learn, and the more support we can find in the right people.

You, I, she...we're not the only ones who have gone through this, or are going through this. Encouragement is best found in those that truly understand, that have walked in your shoes. But how do you find those people if you are not even willing to admit that you hurt too? Or if you're unwilling to take a moment to really listen and make a promise, to them and to yourself, that you're really going to care?

It's a huge commitment; I get that too.

Sometimes life seems too busy, that your own hurt seems too big, that taking even a moment to carry someone else for awhile seems like too much...

do it, though, do it, and you'll find that it's so worth it.

When you take the time to carry someone else on their worst day, you'll find that on your worst day, they will be there to help you get through too.

The best part? Helping doesn't have to be hard. Sometimes something as simple as a whispered prayer, an encouraging card or word, or just ten minutes of your dedicated time, can be the difference between pushing through or breaking down.

I know because I have been there and I have a feeling you've been there too...

So take a moment, even on your best of days, to remember that every single person that you meet is struggling in their own way. They hurt and they need, just like you. Don't forget it and suddenly every person you meet will become more real.

post signature

1 comment:

You don't know just how lovely you are...thank you.